The Université Laval Faculty of Pharmacy actively contributes to pharmacy education and to the advancement of pharmacy knowledge through research.
Today, the Faculty of Pharmacy is:
To meet the needs of the population and promote sustainable health, we train leaders in the best use of medications and make discoveries through large-scale research across disciplines.
Centred on the needs of individuals and society, the Faculty of Pharmacy is a catalyst of innovation and has a global reputation for the excellence of its education and the impact of its scientific discoveries.
The Université Laval Faculty of Pharmacy upholds the following values:
Starting on April 10, 1860, apprentice pharmacists in Québec could take classes at the Université Laval Faculty of Medicine. On June 9, 1924, thanks to the determination of pharmacists in Québec City, Université Laval authorities agreed to create a School of Pharmacy, originally part of the Faculty of Arts. Alfred-Émile Francoeur, a doctor of pharmacy, would be the first director of the school. The status and location of the school changed many times over the years.
Became part of the Faculty of Science with facilities on Boulevard Bonne Entente
Moved to the Alexandre-Vachon Building
Became part of the Faculty of Medicine
Moved to the Ferdinand-Vandry Building
The School of Pharmacy gained faculty status
The practice of pharmacy has made huge strides in recent decades. Pharmacists used to be chemists and preparers of medications, relying on a small arsenal of treatments. Over the years they became valued advisors and medication experts. At the same time, pharmacy education evolved in leaps and bounds, and now involves much more than the internships of yesteryear.
As part of the Faculty of Sciences, the School of Pharmacy benefited from better laboratories and was able to launch a four-year program.
More theoretical courses offered mainly in chemistry, galenic pharmacy, and botany.
The school offered the first hospital pharmacy courses.
The hospital pharmacy certificate course was introduced. It would later become a diploma and, in 1993, a master’s program.
The first clinical internship in a hospital setting was created.
A block of community health courses was added to the program to give students a global understanding of health and interdisciplinarity.
A new bachelor’s degree program was created in light of the new realities of pharmacy practice.
The faculty introduced new graduate programs in research.
The undergraduate pharmacy degree program was launched.
The arrival of more professors in 1970 and the introduction of pharmacokinetics and the metabolism of medications as academic fields gave graduate study a huge boost. Pharmaceutical research, both basic and clinical, was bolstered by the expertise of
Rather than resting on its laurels, the Faculty of Pharmacy is strengthening its position as an education and research leader. In the years to come it will be tackling a number of challenges: